I always tell customers that if a burglar wants to get into your property, they will, regardless of what level of security you have. These people want an easy life, and the more security you have, and the more vigilant you are in using it; the more likely they are to go elsewhere. These bullet points below will make your property less likely to attack.
• GET THE BEST QUALITY LOCKS AND SECURITY YOU CAN AFFORD.
• ALWAYS LOCK YOUR DOORS PROPERLY, DO NOT JUST SLAM THE DOOR BEHIND YOU.
• MAKE SURE YOU USE ALL ADDITIONAL SECURITY ITEMS YOU HAVE FITTED, IF YOU DON’T USE THEM THEY ARE INEFFECTIVE.
• INSTALL AN ALARM SYSTEM, AND OR SECURITY LIGHTS, FROM A LICENSED COMPANY.
•DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLE STUFF ON DISPLAY.
• USE BLINDS AND CURTAINS WHEN OUT.
• WHEN YOU ARE OUT FOR A WHILE, LEAVE A LIGHT AND A RADIO ON.
• IF AWAY FOR A LONGER PERIOD, ACTIVATE THE LIGHT AND RADIO ON A TIMER SWITCH.
• GET A LOCK FROM AEK FOR YOUR OUTSIDE ELECTRIC CUPBOARD.
• IF YOU ARE IN YOUR GARDEN, POOL OR BACK OF HOUSE, MAKE SURE THE FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE IS CLOSED UP, THE SAME APPLIES IN REVERSE.
Standard type Euro cylinders can easily be broken out with a little knowledge and basic tools.
This can be carried out quickly, and quietly in less than a minute.
Must be pick, bump, drill and snap resistant as minimum requirement.
Don’t buy cheap online, as these are generally useless.
These make for a real deterrent and a great addition to any door.
Try to use the type that do not use a Euro Cylinder as the operating method, as to make them tamper proof you will need to buy an additional tamper proof cylinder to make them secure, and this will add considerably to the cost, and not necessary with the right choice of deadlock.
So look for those with an internal, or integrated locking system or rim lock that cannot be snapped or broken out.
You can get complete Mortise locks, fitted with a standard Euro cylinder and a shield or cover over the external lock that prevents snapping only, effective but unnecessarily expensive, when the above are more cost effective and secure options.
These will make life very difficult for a burglar, as they help to prevent forcing and lifting out of sliding windows and doors, simple to use but an effective deterrent.
Always lock your doors and windows behind you properly, not just slammed shut, even if you are just going out for 5 minutes, and make sure you use whatever additional locks you have fitted.